Practical Modern Hair Science is the definitive guide for translating hair science into practical application. This is not just a reference book. It will not collect dust on your shelf – you will USE this book.
This book includes the underlying fundamental science of hair while recognizing that the ultimate reason for acquiring this knowledge relates to creating successful products and meeting the needs of the consumer. It covers long-standing subjects and current issues in hair care including heat protection, shine, hold and color intensity and retention. It respects historical literature, while drawing attention to recent learning—combining tried-and-true science with cutting-edge innovation.
Where else can you find a multitude of hair topics drawn from decades of hands-on experience, condensed and critically assessed in fifteen chapters?
- Keratin physics
- Hair follicle cycling
- Polymer-surfactant interactions
- Polyquaternium polymers
- Ammonium as alkalizer in coloring
- Rates of coupling in dye formation
- Reducing agents and oxidizing agents in shaping
- Amino acid analysis to measure disulfide bond reformation
- Sodium bisulfate to create permanent wave
- Growth patterns and chemical structures among different ethnicities
- Stress-strain experiments
- Effect of relative humidity
- Weibull distribution in fatigue testing
- And more!
Practical Modern Hair Science contains original contributions demonstrating a practical approach to understanding the science behind your formulations.
The impressive ensemble of authors including the editors, Randall Wickett and Trefor Evans, were selected for their years of experience and significant expertise. Noted pioneers, teachers and trend-setters such as Alan Swift, Jennifer Marsh, Robert Lochhead, Roger McMullen, Crisan Popescu, Tom Dawson, and others share an in-depth, detailed examination of the most important aspects of hair science.